Friday, August 19, 2011

Body armor.

It's not something your typical civilian has, or generally feels the need to have.  I think it's a good idea to have it if you can.  It's safety equipment, and if you can get  your hands on it, why not?

Now, I think it's a given that  you're not going to be walking around on the street wearing even soft amor unless someone developes some that is a lot more comfortable and concealable than what is currently available (and when they do, I want it).  However, I think it would not be a bad idea to have some around for home defense. 

Most of us would agree that in most home defense situation the best thing you can do is to barricade  yourself in the most secure part of your home (if possible).  We'd also agree that you should have a gun there (I like to have a pistol on me at all times, and a shotgun or rifle in my hiding spot).

So, why not have some armor in that spot too?  Something basic and simple that you can quickly get into that will cover your vitals, and that won't break the bank.  Something like this, from US Palm:



I like the idea.  It's something you could throw on at the range too, if you weren't bashful about it.  How often do I read about people bitching about the shoddy gun handling and safety of patrons of the ranges they visit?  This seem like a simple and elegant way to raise the odds in your favor if somebody does something stupid while you're around.

A lot of the objections I see to body armor are that only 'mall ninjas' feel the need for it, or that you must be paranoid, or the classic 'what, you think you're a cop?' (as if LEOs are the only ones who should have the right to survive getting shot by some goblin) etc.  You hear the same things about ARs, 30 round magazines, or carrying a pistol concealed as you go about your day to day life.  So what.

There is something Michael Bane says a lot on his podcast.  Paraphrasing, he says that when it comes to self defense it's better to do something that seems silly, and laugh about it later, than it is to not do something that will make you safer and end up seriously hurt or dead.  I completely agree with that sentiment. It's why I've always carried a gun if I legally could, even when my friends called me paranoid and said they'd only carry when they thought they'd 'need it.'  And it's why I'll be picking up (once I double check to make sure my legislature didn't pass that stupid law!) one of the US Palm Defender armor vest when I've got the spare scratch.   

Personally, it just seems like one more way of tipping the scales in my favor.  And for $200?  That just seems like one of those offers you can't refuse.

YMMV.   

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

I "think" you'd need to check the legality of owning armor. I know some states it's illegal.

RobertM said...

Yeah, I've got to look into. I think it's legal in AL, but I know there was a bill to make it illegal to sell in the state earlier this year.

Anonymous said...

Funny you should mention the U.S. Palm armor. I've had the front/back Molle version on my Amazon wish list for months.