Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Wiley Clapp Colt Commander

At the Lucky Gunner shoot John Richardson walked up to me during Day One and handed me one of these bad boys.  I'd actually wanted to shoot one since the first time I saw it.  He handed me two magazines and gestured toward the range.  You don't have to tell me twice! 

I only shot the 16 (or was it 14?) rounds, but my impression of this pistol is definitely positive.  The checkering on the front strap is fierce.  I could see how that could be mean to your hands shooting all day, but after having my hands slip on my non-checkered 1911 all weekend I think it's worth the trade off. 

It was a fun gun to shoot, and the first commander size 1911 I've shot.  I like the gold bead front sight, and while it was hard to tell with the number of shooters all shooting at the same things I'm positive the gun shoots better than I do. 

The only thing I saw on it I would change would be the trigger.  I prefer the three hole trigger.  Admittedly, this is an aesthetics issue, not a function one. 

2 comments:

Sean D Sorrentino said...

You are right about that front strap checkering. It's brutal. If shooting the bad guy doesn't work, you could always wrestle him down and sand his nose off with it.

Skeletonized triggers look sweet, but they collect lint and dirt when you conceal carry.

RobertM said...

I've always had skeletonized triggers on my 1911s and it's never been an issue for me.