Thursday, June 30, 2011

On The Range #54: Rifle and Pistol

This past Tuesday, one of my days off, I woke up at 4:30AM.  I don't get up that early one work days, but I was wide awake.  I had some breakfast and decided I'd annoy the neighbors by doing some shooting with my Mosin Nagant at 7:30 in the morning. 

Hey, I live out in the country for a reason!

I enjoy shooting the Mosin, but I have to admit to irrational (?) fear of it suffering some catstrophic failure while I'm shooting.  It was manufactured in 1942 in the USSR, so forgive me if the quality control makes me a little nervous!

That said, I've had no problems with my Mosin, and I love shooting it. 

Rifle is not my strong suit, so I did all of my shooting at 50 yards, off hand, with the iron sights.  I'm working on a little spot for a 100 yard range, but that's for the future.

I put 25 rounds down range.  Not a whole lot, but that damn thing gets HOT!  Most of my shots seemed to be going left.  I shoot the last five rounds holding on the right edge of the target and everything went in generally in the center of the left side of my target.  I need to set up a decent rest so I can see if it's me or the sights. 


Next up I put 100 rounds through the 1911.  I didn't do anything fancy with the first 50, just worked on the trigger reset and 'sight picture, BANG!, sight picture.'  I felt good about it.
Still jerking the trigger some.  

One thing I noticed from slowing down is that I shift my point of aim to the largest hole I've made after about 10-15 rounds.  I think I may start using some 3" targets I have instead of shooting at the 8", maybe that will help me focus a little better.  


Also, I think I'm going to start shaking things up a bit.  Instead of just static shooting I'll start mixing it up with down loaded mags for practicing reloads and doing a lot more draws.  


My next fifty rounds I used to shoot Dot Torture.  I scored 33/50.  I've been shooting pretty consistently in the 30s for a while now.  I'm just going to keep at it.




It was a good day on the range.  I just wish I'd had more .45 ACP to shoot!

No comments: