Wednesday, June 15, 2011

On The Range # 52: New Shooter

My friend has been at me to take her shooting for a while.  We finally got around to it today. 


Unfortunately I'm not the best set up for taking new shooters to the range.  The only pistol I have is my carry 1911.  I'm looking into picking up one of the 1911 .22s soon so hopefully that will fix things in the future.

We started out with the safety brief and the four rules.  Then we worked on grip and did a little dry firing before getting outside to do some live fire shooting. 

Outside I showed her how to load the magazines, and then how to load the pistol.  She had a little trouble racking the slide at first but with a little practice was managing it just fine.  We worked on her stance and continued to work on grip, sight alignment, and trigger control.  Shooting the .45 can be hell on a new shooter and I explained to her the reasons for that.  Still, she was game, and her shooting was not bad at all for someone who has never shot before. 

Aside from having to be reminded to keep her finger off the trigger (new shooter, first experience with guns, so it's expected) she did very well.  She made sure to keep the gun pointed in a safe direction at all times and listened to what I had to say, asked questions, and was willing to try.  You can't ask for more than that.

Hopefully it won't be too long before I can get my hands on a dedicated .22 trainer.  Then I can get her back on the range for a longer session with a more comfortable gun to shoot.

She had fun, and learned something new.  That's what it's all about.

2 comments:

Scout26 said...

Good on You. Each one, teach one.

The only problem is you picture doesn't capture the smile on her face.

The other option with the .45 is to buy or make 185grain loads. Quite a bit less recoil then shooting 230grainers.

North said...

Excellent! I love having a couple of .22s to give to new shooters for their first experience.