Thursday, June 9, 2011

On The Range #51: Practice

Training is not worth a damn bit of good if you don't practice what you've learned.  Tuesday is one of my days off so I took myself outside, set up a target, and got to it.  My first 50 rounds I just focused on shooting as quickly as I could keep all my shots on an 8" target, making sure to use follow through and trigger reset.

The results weren't half bad!

I'm still trending low and left, which is a sure sign I'm jerking the trigger and maybe tightening my fingers.  I can work on that by tightening up my grip and paying more attention to what my trigger finger is doing.  

I made a run at Dot Torture buy my shooting was so bad I stopped before I was halfway finished.  I went back to working on follow through and reset.  

Hopefully I can get myself a shot timer before too long and work on some more drills, multiply targets, etc.  At least I'll be able to get an idea of how fast I can go before the wheel's start coming off and set myself some goals in that direction. 

This little trip finally bumped me over the 3,000 round mark in my RIA 1911.  It's been a bumpy ride, but I'm pleased.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Looks like you're getting too much finger on the trigger again. You did the same thing at Knoxville, when you started getting tired.

RobertM said...

Yep. I need to slow it down some, take a little time with my shots.