Tuesday, March 29, 2011

RIA Tactical 1911: 2,000 Round Review, Part II

I've been shooting and carry my RIA Tactical for seven months.  Some shooters would be approaching the 10,000th round of shooting, but I can't afford that so I've only been able to shoot 2,000 rounds so far.  I've had a lot of fun with this pistol.  I really like it, and for the price I can't complain at all.

The gun shoots better than I do.  I shoot Dot Torture almost every time I'm on the range.  I started out at 3 yards, but two months later I was shooting Dot Torture at 7 yards.  7 yards has proven to be a hell of a lot more challenging than 3 yards.  I've shot it ten times with my scores ranging from 21/50 to 44/50, with a mean score of 31.  I can put all my shots into an 8 inch circle at seven yards with no problem and I've taken to using 3" sticker targets to add more of a challenge to my practice. 

The RIA has taken any ammo I've given it and a fed reliably no matter if it was FMJ or JHP.  Any issues I've had I generally been able to lay at the feet of bad magazines and/or a dirty gun. 

I love/hate the ambi safety.  I love having it for weak hand shooting, and I hate the way it can sometimes pinch the hands.  The safety is something I'm giving serious consideration to replacing. 

The sights on the RIA are good.  I'd prefer nights sights, and I may have some put on it at some point, but what I have works well.

I've enjoyed shooting my RIA Tactical.  It is a cheap and faily reliable pistol.  It's not pefect, and I'll make no claim that it is, but for $500 it's not bad either.  If you want a 1911 and you don't have a lot of money to spend by all means take a look at RIA.

It's got it's problems and I've done nothing to gloss them over, but I'm happy with it and I'll continue carrying it.  I'm hoping to buy another 1911 this year and it'll probably be something that is more expensive (and hopefully won't suffer from the same issues).

At the very least I've now got a basis upon which I can judge any other pistol which I buy.

No comments: