Thursday, February 24, 2011

Plastic gun.

Over the last year or so I've been giving some serious consideration to picking up a plastic gun, either a Glock or a S&W M&P.  Lately, the M&P45(without the thumb safety) has been really standing out.  For the price it's a reasonable way to jump back into the plastic gun world (I've previously owned 2 HKs) and give one a thorough run down.

Don't get my wrong.  My 1911 isn't going anywhere, but I do want some time on other guns.  And I really do want to see how the M&P stacks up in my hands.  You can read all the reviews in the world, but it's not the same as actually holding one.

If I can get one and it functions significantly better and is not significantly more uncomfortable to carry I may switch over to one for my primary carry gun.  If the function is the same and it is at all more of a pain to carry, I won't.  If the function is worse (which I sincerely doubt) it will get sold.

I can get an IWB holster for it from Don Hume for about $60, and magazines run from $20 -$40 depending on where you look.

If I get one, it'll have to comfortable enough to carry IWB.  If it's not, then that's a deal breaker.  It will have to eat any ammo my RIA will.  That won't necessarily be a deal breaker, but it would definitely be something that turns me off.  It will have to go at least 1,000 rounds without a malfunction that can not be quickly cleared, and at least 500 rounds with no malfunctions at all.

I could live with this becoming my carry gun...at least until I can afford to spend the money on the 1911 I want!

No comments: