Tuesday, January 25, 2011

On The Range #39

After missing out on shooting last week I managed to get myself outside today.  I had 200 rounds to shoot today instead of my usual 100 so my shooting was a bit more extensive. 

I finished watching the Magpul Dynamics Art of the Dynamic Handgun DVDs this morning and worked a lot of the things I saw there into my shooting today. 

I did a lot of shooting from a variety of positions I don't typically shoot from, like supine, kneeling, and prone, that were demonstrated in the DVD set.  I also worked on shooting with movement, and general gun handling and fundamental skills throughout.

I really, really want to take some Magpul Dynamics courses now. 

My shooting was great today until I got to my last 50 rounds and shot Dot Torture.  I scored a 21/50, my worst score at 7 yards yet.  It was ridiculous, but I blame myself.  I was rushing through it instead of taking my time and the result was a terrible score. 

For me, Dot Torture is all about fundamentals and working through everything slowly.  It's more about getting the motions right than the speed.  Speed I can work on doing other drills.  Dot Torture is my way of focusing strictly on sight picture and trigger control.  I lost that focus today and a piss poor score was the result. 

Lesson learned.

I also did the vast majority of my shooting wearing gloves.  I've found that when it comes to shooting a 1911 gloves can be a problem.  For some reason it's way to easy not to get a good grip and make sure the grip safety is being squeezed.  I'm thinking about looking into getting a more prominently raised grip safety to see if that fixes this problem.  It's not a huge problem, but if it's one I can fix that easily and not have to worry about, I will. 

I had two failures to extract out of the 200 rounds. That's a total of four in 1,480 rounds fired.  I'm going to start cleaning my 1911 more often after shooting, or at least make sure the extractor is good and clean after each shooting session to see if that has any effect.

All in all, good day on the range. 

No comments: