Monday, October 4, 2010

"Awareness" months.

I'm getting a little sick of awareness months. We're all aware, trust me. If you can't raise money it's not because people aren't aware, it's because they don't give a damn. I want to save the ta-tas as much as the next person. I've had family members die from cancer, from heart disease, and from a variety of other ailments. I'm not unaware of them, and I doubt most other people.

It's gone so far beyond 'awareness' that I am day in and day out saturated with someone begging for money for something else. You know what? Give me something for something. You want to fight breast cancer? Talk to your local strip club owner and do an amateur night where all the ladies who want to raise money for breast cancer awareness can come and show their breasts for tips. You can give a quarter of the tips to the club owner for the use of his/her facility and donate all the rest.

If you want to do something, DO something. Don't expect me to think you really give a damn if all you can be bothered to do it plaster pink somewhere at no real cost to yourself. At the very fucking least buy one of those oh so clever stickers or t-shirts that panders to the male love of tits.

7 comments:

Christina LMT said...

Ouch. I don't think I'm hurting anything by going pink. And my mother and grandfather both died of cancer, so?

No, you won't see me in a wet t-shirt contest or amateur strip night.

RobertM said...

It's gone from being about trying to do something about an illness to being something you do because it's the 'in' thing. I have no doubt that some people approach it for the right reasons, but my point is that no one is unaware of these things. You're not hurting anything by going pink, you're also not doing anything either by going pink either.

RobertM said...

And by the way, you weren't the target of this rant Christina. My local paper is pink today, as is the local courthouse tonight (done with lighting), and a ton of other shit. It's not about helping, it's about doing something that has no real benefit but is spectacularly noticeable.

Christina LMT said...

Noticeable is good. The whole point of Breast Cancer Awareness month is to make women especially aware of things like doing self breast exams and getting mammograms, because early detection is key in beating the disease. (And yes, I'm spouting propaganda.). The things you're describing are maybe a little over-the-top, but people's hearts are in the right place.

If even one person (such as one of my daughters, perhaps) goes to my blog and notices the change, and finds out why, then does some research into breast cancer, then I've done good.

RobertM said...

Four or five years ago I would completely agree. Now? Now I have my doubts as to whether it's been turned into a marketing ploy, and that offends me. I know you're not doing that, but the local newspaper going pink was nothing other than a shit rag trying to guilt people into buying it so they can show they're 'contributing.'

Part of it it where I live. Birmingham is a hospital city. The number of billboards about various medical issues are overwhelming and its gotten to the point where you can don't take stuff seriously anymore, and that bothers me.

Christina LMT said...

Sort of overkill/over-saturation, huh? I can understand where you're coming from, it's desensitizing to have crap shoved in your face 24/7.

RobertM said...

Yes, exactly. I was actually thinking of a post about saturation in general.