Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11/2001.

Yeah, I remember.

I remember that there is still a hole in the ground in New York, and that Osama is still out there.

I am not satisfied with our governments response to the attack after nine years.  It started out right with the invasion of Afghanistan with the stated goal of capturing Osama and destroying Al-Qaeda.  It started to go wrong just days later with the PATRIOT Act.  It went further wrong with the creation of the TSA and the Department of Homeland Security, both institutions with unrealistic stated goals but the hope of giving the illusion of security and doing something by making American's less free.

Osama slipped away, and evaded or was allowed to evade death or capture.  Afghanistan bogged down, the death toll mounted, and we began to hear, "Iraq, Iraq, Iraq."

I will not debate the rightness of removing Saddam from power.  He was an evil man and it was the correct thing to remove him from this green earth.  I debate the necessity of an invasion when an assassination would have accomplished our goal and gave warning to the next comer.  And the next, and the next, if necessary.

I think the military did the best it could in both Iraq and Afghanistan given what it had to work with.  I think our goals in both nations have been unrealistic.  Our goal, in both instances, post invasion, should have been to leave shattered ruin or gain conquered territory.  Instead we tried to rebuild Japan and Germany.  Pre-9/11 Afghanistan and Iraq were nothing like Pre-WWII Germany and Japan.  We should have been thinking in terms of post Spanish American War if we needed a historical model to follow.

I can't help but feel that we are going to leave tasks we started uncompleted.  I think those actually doing the doing did the best they could, but I think politics all too often got in the way.  As did political correctness.

In the end, I'm left with this:

Osama is still on the loose, still free, and the fact that he is a hunted man doesn't make me feel any better about it.  There is still a hole in the ground where the world's tallest building should stand, and that is inexcusable and a clear sign that our house is NOT in order.

No comments: