Tuesday, August 24, 2010

On The Range #23: New Pistol

Yesterday I traded my RIA GI1911 and some cash for a RIA Tactical 1911.  The Tactical model has some improvements over the GI that I was looking for in my next pistol.  Chief among these is that the sights are much better than those on the tactical model.  I like that a lot.  Other features are a beavertail grip safety, ambi thumb safety, and a commander hammer. 


The only change I've made is to install some thin diamond pattern wood grips.  I had to do a little bit of trimming to make them work with the thumb safety which is something I'll have to keep in mind when I order some of these, though looking at the website it probably won't be an issue.

Shooting the pistol for the first time was a treat.  I wasn't sure how much time I'd have to shoot this morning so I opted for Dot Torture.  My overall score was 32/50, which is not as well as I was shooting with the GI but I think I was rushing a bit.  We'll see next week at the latest.


I have some Gold Dot 230 gr. JHP ammo I'm going to try some time soon.  I'm not sure how it will perform in this particular 1911 and so until I find a reliable JHP I'll be carrying the RIA with 230 gr. ball ammo.

I experienced one failure while shooting.  I had a round FTF.  It was the last round in my 8 round Novak magazine, the same failure I experienced with the GI 1911.  I'm going to keep the Novak mag in my training/practice rotation but I think I'll be replacing all of my magazines with Wilson Combat mags ASAP.

I may make some other changes to this pistol as time goes on.  So far it functions very well, and as long as it continues to do so I will keep things as they are unless I learn of problems with particular parts or experience problems myself.

The only thing I plan to change for sure are the sights.  I'd like to have night sights added to my pistol.  I've used them on my Kimber Ultra Raptor and I really like that extra visibility at night.  It's been said if you can't see you matte black sights then you can't see your target clearly enough to shoot.  I vehemently disagree based on my own personal experiences.

I think I'll enjoy this pistol a lot.  Time will tell for sure.  I've paired it with a Galco Jak Slide.  I don't think this holster will last long.  It's the not the most comfortable and I really prefer an IWB holster.  A Galco Summer Comfort or a Don Hume PCCH are probably in my future.  Or a Versa Max if I can ever afford one of the damned things.

*Thanks to Fred at Guns&Coffee for the picture background inspiration.

No comments: