Sunday, July 25, 2010

Breakfast.

I had my favorite breakfast this morning:


Bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich.  I call it the Trott sandwich because I'd never made one until after watching a contractor cook one of up for breakfast in a house we were finishing when I was working as an electrician (he was sleeping there as it was a friends house and long drive from home).

I use thick-sliced bacon, one large egg, and Velveeta sliced cheese.  You could use any cheese you like (I've used swiss, which is also very tasty) but the Velveeta cheese melts and holds the whole thing together better than anything else I've tried.

Fry up four or five slices of bacon, then set them aside to drain on a paper towel covered plate.  In the bacon grease fry up one egg, breaking the yolk.  Set egg aside with the bacon.  Dispose of the bacon grease (my dogs love it over their dog food), wipe out the fry pan, then add a couple of teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat.  Place a slice of bread in the pan, top it with a slice of the cheese of your choice, then strips of bacon, followed by the egg, then another slice of cheese, and finally the top slice of bread.

At this point it's just like making a grilled cheese sandwich any other way.  Brown the bread on both sides as little or as much as you desire, but make sure the cheese melts over all the other ingredients.  Also, be careful the whole thing doesn't fall apart while flipping it. 

I usually have a strip and a half or more of bacon left over and I put it on my plate as a side but I can honestly never finish it and it usually goes to my very appreciative dogs.  This is a meal unto itself, and any other side dishes will see you leaving it unfinished.  Trust me, I know.  And I can put some food away.

Liberally doused with Tabasco sauce this makes one hell of a morning meal and will keep you filled up all day.  I rarely need to eat lunch after having one of these delicious amalgamations of staple breakfast foods.  

3 comments:

Kris said...

I do a similar version. I use plain toast and American cheese (which is Velveeta slices, for all intents and purposes), and I don't break my yolk because I like the sandwich dripping when I bite into it. Why? I dunno, it just tastes better when it's messy. And . . . I only eat one or two slices of bacon on mine. I'm not a breakfast meat fan.

Sometimes I'll switch up the fried egg for scrambled, which is only marginally more healthy, but mostly depends on my mood. In those cases, it's best to butter the toast while still hot so it gets just soggy enough to sort of "wrap" around the insides (butter-side-in, of course).

These are also great on English muffins. Just FYI. I've seen recipes that call for mayo on these sandwiches, but I tried that once and it didn't add to the experience at all. I couldn't taste it over the American, but it made the sandwich goopier (I just made that up, ha!), which is not anything like making it drippier.

Your photo makes me hungry, though!

Mike W. said...

mmm, by far one of the best breakfasts a man can have.

I prefer mine on a bagel with provolone and maybe some hot sauce but either way it's excellent.

RobertM said...

Kris, I've considered the unbroken yolk and rejected for the same reason you like, even though mine is usually dripping Tabasco and melted cheese. Now I'll have to do it just to see if I like it.

Mike, provolone is definitely on the list of other cheeses I want to try on it. I think I'll like it. Don't know about having it on a bagel, but it's worth considering.