Friday, April 9, 2010

Well, it's a start..

I've always said if you want to be equal, use the same bathrooms.

The little girls' room won't be just for little girls anymore, if the Maine Human Rights Commission has its way.

The commission is taking heat over a controversial proposal to ban schools from enforcing gender divisions in sports teams, school organizations, bathrooms and locker rooms. It says forcing a student into a particular room or group because of his or her biological gender amounts to discrimination.


I don't know that I'd agree that all the 'human rights' the Maine commission says people have are actually rights, but privacy in the public sphere is not one of them. And yeah, in my humble and radical feminist opinion, I think separate bathrooms are inherently a bad idea.

"There's not a whole lot of places a girl can expect privacy, but the bathroom should be one of them," said Celeste. "And there's not a whole lot of places a boy expects privacy, but the bathroom should be one of them. Married couples close the door when they go to the bathroom.”


No one is saying they have to share stalls. I'd be in favor of getting rid of urinals if that's an issue, but it shouldn't be. Boys and girls deserve privacy from other members of their sex/gender as much as from those of opposite genders. But that's an etiquette issue, not a moral or legal issue.

Oh, and not all married couples close the door. Some use the bathroom at the same time. Some even shower together...GASP!

I understand that most people would have problem with this idea, of boys and girls and men and women using the same bathrooms. I can't say that if I had a little girl I wouldn't have a problem with it. But that doesn't make it right.

There was a time when a people of different races couldn't marry. Society said it was 'unnatural,' 'wrong,' and 'immoral.' That didn't make it right either. Apples and oranges, I know. Still, it illustrates my feeling about the issue.

"Boys have a penis; girls have a vagina."
-Kindergarten Cop

3 comments:

Kris said...

The first time I heard about this idea--merging the sexes in public areas--was from you on someone else's blog post about DADT. Labrat? Something like that. Anyway, I've been too well socialized to agree with it right away, but when I look at it logically, it makes sense. What I've been conditioned to believe and what I see as logical are having a difficult time cohabiting in my head. So, my longwinded point is that I'm undecided on this issue.

RobertM said...

Yeah, Labrat's blog post is where I've talked about it before.

Oh, I tend to be right there with you. I KNOW it would make me uncomfortable, but at the same time I also know that logically it makes sense. Personally, I think one day it will come about but I also think it will take a hell of a long time and it won't stop being controversial until everyone who was socialized to see it as 'wrong' or 'not right' or whatever is dead and buried.

Time will tell, I guess.

Kris said...

I think it's progress that at least we know why we think that way--we've been raised in that sort of culture, so it's pretty well programmed into our systems. I think you're probably right that it'll be slow in coming and that it will only stop being controversial when the people who've been conditioned to feel the way we do about it are dead--so we're talking several generations, at the least.

Either I forgot to hit post on my comment or you forgot to answer my question about what's with the Cold Fury blog I see on your blogger profile.

Also, I've never gotten updates on your blog even though I've been following as long as you've had it here. Do you know why that is? It shows I'm following, but I never see any recent post updates. I dunno if it's a problem on my end or yours, but I thought I'd check with you. I might have to unfollow and then follow you again.