Tuesday, March 9, 2010

What three guns?

The classic pick one pistol, one shotgun, and one rifle, all with no modifications. I'm going with stuff right off manufacturers' websites, and I'm going to take the liberty of assuming adding a scope to my rifle won't be considered a modification.

Pistol: Smith&Wesson 1911PD Gunsite Edition. I'm a big fan of 1911s and 8 think the commander size is just about perfect. I like th way the Smith is put together, and I know I could use it and carry it easily.

Shotgun: I'm not a big shotgun guy, but considering this 3 gun limit I'd take a Remington 870 Express Tactical. I prefer a pump action and this one comes off the line pretty sweet. A combination of '00' Buck and slugs will do me well up close and out to some respectable distances with a little practice. And if I'm stuck with just these three I'll practice.

Rifle: Everyone seems to be for the magazine fed carbines here. Not me. I want to be able to reach out and touch somebody (or hoofed rat). My choice is a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308. I just realy like that particular set up. Have not been hands on yet. This is, in my opinion, a good rifle for hunting and for use agai st two legged varmints in a real bad SHTF situation. I feel comfortable with the shotgun for use 100 yards and under, and I'm not really comfortable with an AR type further than a 100...at least not one that isn't heavily customized.

So there you go. That's my list. As a lot of others, like Tam and SayUncle, I wouldn't want just one of each type ever unless I had no choice in the matter. I pretty much approached this list as a post apocolytic scenario rather than just a simple 'we'll be without power for a couple a days' scenario.

No comments: