Sunday, December 6, 2009

On The Range #4: 72 Round Practice for 1911

I hadn't shot since my NRA class a while back that was the subject of my last On The Range post. I was really feeling the need to get some practice in. However, ammo prices being the way they are I wanted to get the most out of what I've got and I thought I'd share it.

I shoot a 1911 with an 8 round capacity fully loaded (technically 9 rounds with 2 of my magazine, but I typically don't carry them in the gun because of the protruding end of the magazine). I decided on 72 rounds as the ideal low round live fire practice. That gives me one mag for warm up and 8 for my practice.

After my warm up mag I shot two magazines stong hand hold and then two magazines week hand only. I used the StressFire(TM) Punch technique described in The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery by Massod Ayoob for the one handed shooting. I found it actually works pretty damned well and I'll keep practicing it.

The next two magazines I did straight up two handed shooting in the modern ISO stance. I've switched to a thumbs down grip because it just seems to work better for me (espeically wearing gloves...it was cold today!).

With my last two mags I practiced Mozambique Drills, doing a total of five. I'm actually getting better at this, and I'm going to keep at it.

If you've been keeping up with the rounds you'll see i should have one left over. I did, and I used that to attempt a headshot at around 20 yards. I rushed it and missed. Center mass at distances for me!

No comments: