Sunday, November 8, 2009

Taking it to the next level.

I've been shooting since I was old enough to hold a gun. My only 'formal' training comes from a weekend shooting session when I was in the Boy Scouts eleven years ago. It's only in the last four or five years that I've become heavily interested in firearms and shooting, the result of reading John Ross's Unintended Consequences (a book that sat on my shelf for years before I finally cracked the cover).

Since reading that book I've been buying guns and shooting at every opportunity. However, until now I have never taken part in any formal shooting competitions or had any formal firearms training.

Next weekend that will be remedied.

Saturday November 14, I will compete in my first IDPA match at Brock's Gap Training Center, Inc.. I've been planning to do this for a while, and have written about it here before. Circumstances have prevented me from being able to do so until now. I am both nervous and excited. Reminds me of another 'first.' I hope I don't shake with as much nervousness Saturday as I did then!

Also, I am attempting to register for an NRA Basic Pistol First Steps course Saturday, November 21, with Alabama Firearms Training Services, L.L.C. I don't know if that will work out, but if it does it will be my first experience with formal firearms training. I'm a little skeptical about whether I need to start right at the newbie beginning, but I don't really have much choice (all the more advanced classes usually require that you've had First Steps) and I'm not going to skip ahead just because of what I think I already know.

I hope I can get into the class, but it is a little late notice. Then again, I don't know what the demand on their services is. If I can't get into this one my next chance will be a class in January. I'll go ahead and register for that class if can't get in the one coming up this weekend.

I plan to do an 'On The Range' devoted to the IDPA match. If I can get in the First Steps class I will also do one on that.

Looks like I may be in for a hell of a weekend. And hopefully a fun one, too.

No comments: