Sunday, November 15, 2009

On The Range #2: Testing Pow'R Ball

As I said in an earlier post I did a little shooting today. The result of that will be two On The Range entries. This is the first.

I've been slowly but surely working my way through most of the defensive ammunition out there for .45 Auto. So far the best has been Hornady TAP. I'm in love with that stuff, but I'm also not above finding something better if it's available.

Soo, a couple of weeks ago I picked up a box of Pow'R Ball 165gr. +P ammunition from Hoover Tactical Firearms. I've been interested in this stuff for a while. It's got a hollow point bullet with a polymer ball inside that is supposed to help feeding and penetration through heavy clothing and glass.

I did all of my shooting at 10 yards with my Kimber Ultra Raptor II, and shot six groups of three at center mass and then finished off the final two rounds by doing a couple of head shots.

My best groups averaged out at around 2.5 inches. My best group was 1.5 inches. I had some really bad groups, but those were more the result of bad trigger control than anything else. Trigger control is something that I'm working on, but I'm getting better at it. Anyway.

I had one Failure To Feed after shooting 12 rounds. Now, this is NOT good. A failure is never good. But I also have to say that I've never NOT had one with a defensive ammunition in a 1911 pistol. They're rare, but they do happen. I've even had them happen with hardball target ammo. I've had them happen with good magazines (factory and Wilson Combat) and I've had them happen no matter how I'm holding the pistol.

Lastly, I did two head shots. The first was about 2 inches low, and the other went in the head of the target about the place where a chin would be. I could do better.

All in all, I like this round, and I may start carrying it in my pistol.

No comments: