Saturday, January 3, 2009

When is a school not a school?

What?!! School is officially a 'bad' word according to a Times of London article I just found this morning.


When is a school not a school? When it is “a place for learning”.

Watercliffe Meadow Primary in Sheffield has adopted the new phraseology
because it thinks that the word school may have negative connotations for pupils
and parents.

Linda Kingdon, the head teacher, said that the change would bring the
school (or place of learning) closer to real life. But critics condemned it as
laughable political correctness.

Really? I mean, really?! You've got to be kidding me. But no.

“This is Watercliffe Meadow, a place for learning. One reason was many of
the parents of the children here had very negative connotations of school.
Instead, we want this to a be a place for family learning, where anyone can
come. We were able to start from scratch and create a new type of learning
experience. There are no whistles or bells or locked doors. We wanted to
deinstitutionalise the place and bring the school closer to real life,” she said.

Let me guess...next it will be 'teacher' that is found to have a negative connotation and Ms. Kingdon will be refering to herself as a 'Person Who Instructs Those Who Happen to Be In A Place For Learning.'

Every time I think I've seen the stupidest thing in the world something new comes along to prove me wrong.

(You can find the full article here:http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article5435175.ece)

1 comment:

Ave said...

Jigga wha? I guess I'm one of those critics. WTH? At first I didn't see the first sentence of your entry, so I was confused as to why you'd put this up. lol But I gotcha now. Yeah, what morons.