Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Sore Knuckles

We all have our own ways of working out our aggressions.  Some of use choose to give up our humanity and take it out on other human beings.  I like to think of myself as a civilized gentleman and a law abiding citizen.

One way I like to blow off steam is to do some target practice with my pistol and rifles.  It's fun, and it's a skill I appreciate developing.  But paper and plastic targets are just not real enough sometimes.  And guns are a little hands off...

So a long time ago I bought a punching bag.  I just recently rigged up a way to hang it.  Then when I went into a sporting goods store to buy some hand wraps I found a mounting bracket.  And no, I hadn't ever seen one before.  So I bought it, as it allows me to hang my bag a lot better.  And it's safer.

I also bought hand wraps, and a pair of gel padded gloves that take the place of hand wraps and can be worn under bag or boxing gloves.  I used those tonight to work out a little aggression.  It was fun.  And it felt good to be able to hit something.  On top of all that it's a good cardio workout. 

I think I am going to invest in some bag gloves too, though.  The second knuckles on the first two fingers of my right hand (my primary punching hand, and the one I hit hardest with) are scrapped raw from the repetitive punches.  It hurts, and I'll have to let them heal, so I need to get some bag gloves to prevent this from happening again.  Funny thing is, I never used to have this problem when I used plain old wraps, so I may just go back to them.

But maybe not.  Bag gloves are a good investment anyway.  A little extra protection is never a bad thing.  Now I think I'll go watch Freedomland.  I hope it's good.

2 comments:

jhileb said...

have you ever looking into amatuer boxing?  i'm a big pro boxing fan..been watching all the "big" fights and some amatuers for years.  boxing is a wonderful sport and more like chess than checkers, although most people don't realize it.  allot of strategy and thought has to go into winning a fight.   it may be a sport you'd do well at.  just a thought.

j.h.

rampage841512 said...

I've thought about it, but it would take more time than I am willing to commit to a hobby at this time.  I don't know that I would be that great anyway.  I find the rules of boxing a little constraining, which is why I won't step in the ring for any of the "Fight Night" action in downtown Birmingham.  I would be interested in Ultimate Fighting, but again, I've don't have the time for training.