Saturday, October 15, 2005

Yes, I am good. And you know it.

I did actually come up with an idea.  There is this huge cast iron statue of Vulcan on top of Red Mountain in Birmingham surrounded by a big park.  I've never been there before, but I've always wanted to go.  It's supposed to have great views of the city from the observation tower, and it's got this little museum type deal with a gift shop and everything.  It's only six bucks a person to get in too. 

If she's interested it could be fun.  And we could do it earlier in the day.  Plus, afterwards we could get the ice cream I promised her. 

This is all assuming she likes the idea, or that something she likes to do doesn't sound better.  She lives out in the middle of nowhere, so I have no idea what she likes to do.  I think I'm actually the first guy who has ever taken her somewhere besides McDonald's to eat.  What can I say?  I try. 

One of the first things her dad said when I saw him at work Thursday night was, "I want to know what you did to my daughter."  My answer was a slightly panicked, "I didn't do anything!  I was nice the whole time."  He said she wasn't talking to any other guys on the phone anymore.  I thought that was kind of funny.  I gave him a look that said, Well, of course.

This whole park thing has possibilities.  I was checking out the website and it looks like some Sunday's they have concerts there.  The performers are local bands that get featured on this thing called Reg's Coffee House (where John Meyer got some of his first airplay).  So that could be interesting.  Although, she likes rap more than anything else, so maybe not.  There is always a picnic lunch too.  She's a pickie eater, so I'd have to find out what she'd like.

I guess I'll have to pick her mind for clues, without her knowing of course.  I'm good at that kind of thing.  Ask a question or two to get them going and then just let them talk while interjecting a comment once in a while to steer the conversation where you want it to go.  As long as you're not too obvious people don't realize you're leading them around by the nose.  People love to talk, even the shy ones like me, and they love it when someone it willing to listen.

No comments: