Friday, April 1, 2005

Getting back on track

I've been getting back into my magical studies over my spring break.  The first thing I did was a tarot reading asking whether I should continue my studies.  The cards very rarely lead me astray, and the jist of the reading was that I should continue.  I began by integrating some of my favorite spells into one common spell book.  These are all spells I use regularly or have constructed myself.  I also added Avril's Punctuality Spell.  I have to say again that I absolutely love that spell.  I do have a few ideas for tweaking it a little though. 

I also began doing some research on compulsion spells.  I'm looking at command spells and things like that for ideads.  So far I've got nothing but I have a lot of stuff to work through.  I'm also planning on doing some experimenting soon too.  I'll probably be using the Punctuality Spell to see if it is effective.

I've also began writing a new story.  I'm not sure yet if it will be short, novella, or novel length.  It's a fantasy story, about a wizard.  He finds himself in a situation where he has information proving that his best friends wife is cuckolding him.  He has to make a decision whether to tell his friend, destroy the information, or use it to his advantage.  While he wants to remain a good friend, to both of them, he also has a deep wound caused by them from the past.  It's one he can not forget, although he has forgiven. 

I'm pulling a lot of the elements from my own life.  They are just two good to pass up.  The circumstances make to many interesting possibilities available, to many what if's not to use them as a template for fiction.  I struggled with whether I should do this or not, considering it's possible my friends might read it.  What would they think?  Would they read too much into it?  And would they be right in doing so?  I decided that it's possible, but I'm not going to forbid myself any subject in my writing.  I won't chain myself down like that.  I have to be able to go anywhere and explore any possibility.  So I'm sticking to my principles as a writer.

5 comments:

autumnsavril said...

You know what I realized, really?  Every spell is a spell to make someone do what you want.  Or something.  The idea is to narrow the "what" so you have a spell with some direction.  Just saying you want someone to do what they say they will do is, as far as I can tell, impossible to pinpoint, and wouldn't it be easier just to say what YOU WANT them to do?

Just a thought.

I'm trying to figure out what it is, exactly, that you like to write.  I thought you were all for SF??  Don't get me wrong, I think all writers should have several types of writing they love, and of course you shouldn't limit your creativity.  I also happen to believe, though, that a writer should have a strong focus somewhere.  Where is yours?

Avril

PS:  Are you going to start on your wand project again soon?  Remember, I want pictures!

rampage841512 said...

My strong focus has always been fantasy and erotica, never SF.  I like to read SF but I've never even attempted to write it.

rampage841512 said...

Oh, and I also came to the same realization about spells.  I decided that I want someone to do what I want so I've started looking at compulsion and command spells for ideas.  

autumnsavril said...

Uh-huh.  And what about your wand project?

Avril

rampage841512 said...

I was thinking about my wand project today.  I'm not sure what I want to start with, a branch or a wooden dowel.  I need to figure that out first.